Brendan Smith interview

Friday, October 29, 2010

Game #9


THE GAME

Nashville Predators (5-1-3) @ Detroit Red Wings (5-2-1)

I didn't get to watch all of the last Wings' game.  The only part I really saw was when Pavel Datsyuk undressed a Coyote defenseman and Twitter was full of comments such as this, this, and this too.  I'm just going to pretend that that was the only shift of the game.  Detroit is currently 5-2-1 and in LAST place in the Central Division.  However, a win against the Preds and the Wings are tied for first.  So there is no need to panic, but man, the Central is stacked.

I won't be watching this game live.  I have my conference championship meet for cross-country (we're expected to place third), then a post season Halloween costume party at my Canadian friend's apartment.  He doesn't have Centre Ice, so I'll watch the game Sunday morning (And for anyone who does have Center Ice, I pray to the Hockey Gods that we get the Detroit feed.  I can't stand the constant SMASHVILLE! references).


THE EXPECTED LINE-UP

Pavel Datsyuk - Henrik Zetterberg - Tomas Holmstrom
Johan Franzen - Valtteri Filppula - Todd Bertuzzi
Jiri Hudler - Mike Modano - Danny Cleary - Justin Abdelkader (someone on this line won't play)
Drew Miller - Darren Helm - Patrick Eaves

Nicklas Lidstrom - Brad Stuart
Niklas Kronwall - Doug Janik
Jakub Kindl - Ruslan Salei

Chris Osgood (starting)
Joey MacDonald 

In the press box: Jonathon Ericsson (back spasms) and Jimmy Howard (back spams)

On STIR: Brian Rafalski (knee)

On LTIR: Kris Draper (groin)


WHAT TO WATCH FOR
  • Mike Babcock expects Jimmah to play on Wednesday.  Until then, we must watch and hope that Ozzie can stop a shot in the first period. 
  • Since Abby is playing, someone has to sit.  Someone from the 4th line could be a scratch, but Abby was working with the 3rd line in practice.  I would expect Modano or Hudler to sit.  Jiri could find a comfy seat in the Leino Lounge.
  • Will Johan Franzen register a point in his 20th consecutive game (going back to last season and including the playoffs)?

BRENDAN SMITH

I know that when I spoke with Smith he said his nickname was Smitty, but I think he's making a push to be called "Big Game" Brendan.  I know the box score will show a Griffins shoot out loss, but Smith did his part in the team's effort to get the win.  The Griffins found themselves down 4-3 and with 1:07 remaining in the game, Smith found the back of the net.  No one scored in overtime and the teams went to a shootout.  Grand Rapids was down 2-1 in the shootout when Smith scored on his attempt to make it 2-2.  The Griffs, however, would end up losing the shoot out 3-2.  On top of Smith's game tying goal, he added an assist in the 2nd period on an Ilari Filppula goal and finished the night as a plus+1.  He had one shot and one penalty (two minutes for holding in the 2nd period).  Smith is still tied for second in team scoring with 8 points (3G, 5A).

UNCLE LEON'S THOUGHTS

Uncle Leon still has no thoughts because he left the other day to go hunting with my cousin (and his son) Robbie.  They're probably sitting in the woods somewhere near my Oma's little house up north.  If he did have thoughts on the game, I imagine it would got something like this: "What an awful last game.  Ozzie was bad.  He is key to a victory.  Expect a close game with Nashville.  Franzen and Lidstrom score and the Wings win 2-1.


Let's Go Red Wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment