Brendan Smith interview

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

An update from out east



It has been extremely slow here at BSI the last few weeks.  In fact, this is my first post in about two weeks.  I just wanted give everyone an update about what is going on with the blog and what to expect in the future.

Around the beginning of November, I applied for a job at New England Sports Network and went through a series of interviews with the company throughout the rest of the year.  On December 16th, I completed my degree in broadcast journalism at Emerson College.  A week and a half later on December 28th, I received a call from NESN offering me a position with the company (I happily accepted).  On the 29th, I bought a car.  On the 31st, I went to the Red Wings game.  On the night of January 1st, I drove back out east to Boston.  It was a crazy two weeks at home in Michigan.

I started at NESN on Monday and will be going through some training the rest of the month.  I'm a production assistant so I will be doing a ton of editing highlights, VOs (voice-over), SOTs (sound on tape) and more.  I'll also get to work on graphics and updating The Edge, which is the ticker that runs across the bottom of the screen with stories and score updates.  I'll be doing a lot of my work for NESN Daily, the Bruins' pre- and post game shows, and the Red Sox pre- and post when their season arrives.

As of right now, I plan to essentially put the blog on hiatus while I adjust to the new job and being a real adult.  I will try to post as often as I can, but my top priority right now needs to be my work at NESN.  I'm really excited and, so far, my first two days have been great.  It's going to be a stress-filled, busy, crazy-hours-of the day, awesome job.  But I'm happy as hell right now.  It's like fulfilling part of a life long dream...I can truly say that I get paid to watch sports. 

I appreciate everyone who has read BSI since it's debut last July.  This isn't a goodbye...It's just a see you next time.  I'll still be around on Twitter as much as possible and will probably comment much more over at The Production Line, Winging It In Motown, etc. when I can.  And last but not least, the good people over at TPL have invited me to join them for the next edition of TP:60.  Hopefully we can make it the best episode yet.

Let's Go Red Wings.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats, man! Its always awesome to have a job you enjoy, even if it is hectic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Jeff! Do good and get yourself a promotion!

    ReplyDelete