Brendan Smith interview

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cooler than me? With that jacket, yes.

It's been a slow summer for big Red Wings news, but a few friends mentioned a Winged Wheel appearance that was new to me.

I'm not sure if anyone else knows about this or it was common knowledge awhile back in May.  I feel like I've been living under a rock when it comes to music and music videos, but apparently the Red Wings have been well represented in the music industry lately (NOTE: I don't have a car here in Boston. Generally my only music listening happens in the car, so I'm really not up-to-date on current music.  I just listen to the same songs I've had on my iPod since forever.  So I have no idea if this song is/was popular or not).

Earlier this week my Canadian friend Greg (a Leafs fan...poor guy) told me to check out a music video called Cooler than Me because the singer had a sweet Red Wings jacket on.  I didn't bother to google it until I got another message from my friend Seth (a hockey fan who was born and raised in Michigan...but is an Avs fan...and is currently a med student bandwagoning in Chicago, but is actually in the Philippines doing med work interning stuff or something at this very moment) telling me to check out the video as well.  So I figured I might as well take a look.

Nonetheless, I checked out the video and there was artist Mike Posner wearing a custom made, crazy Red Wings hybrid leather jacket.  It kind of looks like a part Winter Classic uniform, part normal Wing's white sweater with a sideways logo. Plus, you've got the late 90s Stanley Cup patch and the alternate captain letter.

It might not be the type of jacket I'd wear, but hey, props to Mr. Posner.  He's from Southfield, MI and he's a Red Wings fan.  No matter how ugly interesting the jacket is, I'm glad to see people sporting the Winged Wheel wherever they are.  I was surprised to see Fedorov's name and number on the jacket.  I would've thought it would be Yzerman or Howe, but Fedorov seems more fitting to me.  He's more of 'Hollywood' type kind of guy compared to The Captain or Mr. Hockey.  I think the Fedorov selection was a solid choice for the occasion.

When I did a google search I found this article on the Red Wings' official website talking about Posner.  Apparently, this Cooler than Me song reached #6 on the Billboard 100 list.  I'm no music expert, but I think that's pretty good.

Here is the music video below.  The Red Wings' jacket makes it's debut in the video at the 2:04 mark. Enjoy.



Lets Go Red Wings

3 comments:

  1. where can i buy that red wings jacket??? let me know???

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2018 November and I still want this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2022 and still looking to buy this gem can't find it no where

    ReplyDelete