Brendan Smith interview

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I need a number!

My second stint with the Rangers. I'm second row, center with the 'A'
There really hasn't been much Red Wings' news lately other than the current Modano will-he-won't-he Brett Favre-like soap oprea...The Young and the Modano...Days of our Modano...General Modano...One Modano to Live...The Bold and the Modano...or All My Modano.  Daytime soap opera names with Modano in the title aside, this post is not about him.

This post is about me needing your help!

This fall I will be coming out of retirement to lace up the skates once again.  I will be playing competitive ice hockey for the first time since I was 16-years-old and sophomore in high school (I'm now 22 and about to begin my last semester of college).  So it's truly been awhile.

The reason for the post though, clearly given away by my clever title, is that I need a number for my sweater.  To briefly provide some background for you, I've never wore the same number twice.  I didn't start skating super early like most hockey players.  The first time I ever played competitively was in the spring of 3rd grade.  I played two spring seasons and wore #7 and #24, respectively (and this was before I really knew anything about Chris Chelios).

After my second spring season, I made it off the waiting list and got to join the 'apprentice' program, which was for kids of the 'squirt' level just beginning hockey.  I wore #33 that season (I liked Draper).

Then next year, in my first season of peewee hockey, I played for the Lakeland *gasp!* Avalanche (Yes, I wore the Avs logo and colors for a season. I had no choice).  That season I wore #10.  I wasn't very good my first year.  I was small, I wasn't the best skater, and I had no hands (still don't!).  My coach moved me back-and-forth between forward and defense all season. Never really found a grove.  I have no idea how many points I had.  Probably around 5-7 goals?  Most all were garbage goals in front of the net.  Highlight of the season that I'll always remember is scoring two goals in the opening shift of a game and then hitting the post on a wide open net on my very next shift.  Closest I ever came to a hat trick.  Honestly have no memory if I have had a two goal game ever again.

Second year of peewee,  I played for the Lakeland Rangers.  I wore #17 that year because in the offseason I went to Michigan Tech hockey camp and was given #17 for the week. I ended up scoring a goal on a penalty shot in the final game on the final day of camp.

Between this season and the season before, I grew like 8 inches and stood 6'1" (Which is my current height. Yes, I haven't grown since 7th grade). This is were my coach Bobby (and still my current barber back home today!) asked me what position I was.  I said I played both offense and defense.  He looked at me and said, "No. You'll play defense and you'll protect the net."  Worked for me.  They slapped an 'A' on the front of my sweater and I've been what I'd like to consider a stay-at-home-defenseman ever since.  Clear the front of the net and muck it up in the corners.  That's my game.  I still credit Bobby to this day for teaching me how to truly understand the game of hockey (but Coach Jeff gets the credit for teaching me my mean poke check).  If you're ever in the White Lake, MI area, stop by the White Lake Square Barber shoppe at M59 and Teggerdine and tell Bobby I said hello.

The next season, my first year of bantam, with the Lakeland Prowlers I wore #96.  This was the most successful team I've ever been on.  A lot of fun too.  I wore #96 in honor of Tomas Holmstrom.  Still played my defensive role.

My second bantam season I was back with Coach Bobby and the Rangers.  This time I wore #41.  It's probably my favorite number ever.  The story comes from running cross-country all my life.  I told my xc coach that I would run 309 miles in the summer before 8th grade...well I ran 41 that summer and my xc coach Mr. Stevenson decided to call my "41" instead of Jeff all season.  In fact, he still calls me "41" to this day. 

My final season of hockey was in midget.  A teammate from the year before, well, his dad owned the ice rink we played at.  When Mike didn't make the Brother Rice JV team, he still wanted to play, so his dad created a midget team for him and Mike called all his old friends and teammates to see if they wanted to play.  I joined it.  I wore #66 that year because it was the only jersey left that was my size.

So long story short, I need to decide on a new number for this upcoming season with Emerson College.  Originally, my thought was to go with #41.  But, I've never worn the same number twice...so why start now.  I've worn 7, 24, 33, 10, 17, 96, 41, 66...and ?????????????????  So please, leave a comment and tell my your number suggestion!  (So far I know that 16, 17, 18, 24, and 62 are already unavailable.)

Lets Go Red Wings

6 comments:

  1. #14-the reverse of 41 is my pick. Besides, you can't go wrong with the number of former Wings great Brendan Shanahan.

    @TheNorm41

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. 14 for Shanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You scored two goals in one shift? That's godly.


    As for the number... you should go off the board: Threve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Norm and Gannon: 14 is a solid consideration. I've never worn it, it's my favorite number backwards, it was Shanny's number (I named my dog Shanny). I guess the only negative is that Meech currently wears it, but I don't think any sane Wings' fan hears the number 14 and thinks of Meech before Shanahan.

    @Liam: haha thanks. I scored the first goal like 14 seconds into the game so my coach left my line out there and we went right back down the ice and did it again. Two rebound garbage goals. And threve, eh? Not sure how they'd put that on a jersey haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with 14. My fave number, number of my favourite player, and if I'm not mistaken it's the number Brendan Smith wore at Wisconsin. You may want to double check that, but if it is accurate, that would suit the title of your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #5. Honor Papa Nick in his last season.

    ReplyDelete