Brendan Smith interview

Saturday, July 10, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things...

As a life long Red Wings fan (albeit a short life so far), I've compiled a lot of great memories following the Wings.  Since this is a new blog for me and I may be new to some of my readers, I figured I'd take the opportunity to use this as a platform to share some of my finest memories as a Red Wings fans and just some plain old good things I love about the Winged Wheel.

(Note: these are in no particular order of favorite to most favorite.  I'm just adding items as I go and as I remember them. Also, obvious awesome moments like anytime Stevie or Nick raised the Cup are not included in this list...but no worries, they are without a doubt four of the greatest memories I have as a Wings' fan)

The Grind Line:

I absolutely loved the Grind Line when I was young. I loved when Scotty would throw them out on the ice to start a game against the oppositions best line. Mac, Drapes, and Malts could cycle the puck like no other and muck it up in the corners with the best of them.  Loving them for the grinding ability though brings me to the moments I still vividly remember to this day. And ironically, it's the big goals from these guys that I remember the most (except for Maltby...sorry Kirk!).

Jumping back to the 1997 Stanley Cup finals. I don't think anyone can argue that Darren McCarty's Cup clinching goal was a thing of beauty. I'm pretty sure every Wings fan remembers this one



And of course, sticking with Mac, I'll always remember his hat trick in game one of the 2002 Western Conference finals against Colorado.



Good Old Kris Draper deserves mention here as well. His OT goal in game 2 of the 1998 Stanley Cup finals against the Capitals was a moment to remember. Especially after the Wings made a brilliant comeback in that game. I remember being terrified of Olaf Kolzig that entire series.



Sticking with the grinding type player...

Joey Kocur:

I love anything and everything Joey Kocur.  He lived in the neighborhood where I grew up (still does).  I remember always seeing him at the Looney Bakery with his kids getting a doughnut for breakfast on the weekends, but I never wanted to both him and his time with his kids.  He would come into Colasanti's Market (I worked at the butcher shoppe there) and I would help him with his meat orders (Dave Lewis is a frequent visitor too).

Anyway, I loved Kocur the player and the person. Extremely nice guy every time I spoke with him.  I remember when he was playing in the beer leagues at my old rink, Lakeland Ice Arena, before he joined the Wings for the second time.  He was scheduled to play in the championship game against my neighbor and old assistant hockey coach, Mr. Snook, but he missed the game because the Wings picked him up.

Everybody should love Joey Kocur.

Doug Brown:

I always liked Dougie Brown. No true real reason why that I can precisely pinpoint. I just liked the guy.


Mickeyisms:

My two favorite: "Bingo bango" and, of course, "This ain't no place for nervous person."

Sergei Fedorov:

Man, I looooovved Sergei as a kid. I was too young to fully understand the entire holdout contract situation back in the day, but man, I just wanted him to stay so bad.  I loved watching him play.  I was almost crushed when I thought he was going to Carolina and I was still extremely upset when he left for Anaheim.

His jersey was the first I ever bought.  I loved the fact that he played defense for a period of time too.  I thought it reeked of awesomeness that he was talented enough to play both positions.

I really had hoped that Sergei would've come back last year or the year before at the trade deadline. One last run with the Winged Wheel on his sweater to redeem himself for the way he left that left a lot of people with a sour taste in their mouths.  It's a shame too.  #91 probably had a great shot to hang in the rafters one day, not so much anymore.

The Statue of Liberty:

I'm just going to let the video do all the talking here.



The first time I ever say Pavel Datsyuk in person:

May 2, 2002  - Game 1 of the conference semi-finals against the St. Louis Blues.

My Uncle Leon took me to the game.  We sat in the corner of the upper bowl probably about half the way up.  It was the first period and in the corner right where I was sitting, Brett Hull passed Pavel the puck and he did one of those Datsyukian Deke moves that you can't really describe in words but everyone just kind of nods and knows what you're talking about because we all know about Pavs ridiculous hands.  Well, he undressed the Blue that was covering him and ripped a shot top shelf past Brent Johnson. It was just pure freakin' Datsyuk awesomeness.

And of course, any Pavel interview deserves to be part of my favorite things. This video is by far my favorite:



I'll wrap these these next few up pretty quickly since they are much more recent favorite things.

Helm's PK:

Stuff of legends



Hating Mikeal Samuelsson:

I hate Mikeal Samuelsson.  These is no true real reason for this.  I've just never liked the guy.  No, I do not miss him since he left for Vancouver and exploded offensively.  I loved to hate Samuelsson


Jimmah vs. Sid:

I think all Red Wings fans found a new deep love for Jimmah on this night.




I hope everyone enjoyed some of my favorite Red Wings moments and memories.  This post ended up being way longer than I originally thought it would be, but it's all good.  Always great to remember good times.  Hopefully, I'll be able to add some Brendan Smith moments to this list in the upcoming season.

Lets Go Red Wings.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very nice selection. I was nodding my head in agreement throughout the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, loved Doug Brown but can't place why. It must be that he's a ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I nodded in agreement to every point on the list, barfed when I saw Fedorov's name, and then went back to nodding. The grindline was acer than ace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy, I loved Sergei as a kid. Can't go back and change that now. Glad you guys like my list.

    And Petrella, Sammy is to me what Bert is to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sammy drove me nuts too. Loved to hate him is right. I did appreciate his random acts of clutchness though.

    ReplyDelete