Brendan Smith interview

Sunday, July 11, 2010

What Kind of Tree is Brendan Smith?

Before finding out what kind of tree Mr. Brendan Smith would be, there is a little bit of unsettling news from prospects camp. According to Detroit Freep Press via George Malik over at MLive, the namesake of this very blog, Mr. Smith, left the ice at prospects camp due to a potential shoulder injury.

July 11, Detroit Free Press: Wings general manager Ken Holland said he didn't think the injury was serious and Smith agreed.  "I'm not really sure what happened, Smith said. "I think it's more of a bump and bruise."

Holland said Smith will have X-rays on Monday. "Slight shoulder separation," Holland revealed as the initial diagnosis. "He's obviously done for the camp." 
Smith, the 27th overall pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, suffered the injury when he was checked into the boards by St. Cloud State forward Nick Oslund, a seventh-round pick in 2006. Smith skated over to the bench in obvious pain, then left the ice.  "Sometimes the littlest hits or the weirdest kind of hits are the most deadly," Smith said.

Hopefully, it does not turn out to be anything too serious.  If Malik is correct and Smith did aggravate an injury that would have hit him sooner or later, it's a good thing that it happened now and not farther down the road.  We can all hope that he will be healed up and ready to go soon.  In fact, Malik believes he'll attempt to hit the ice again on Tuesday.  If so, I will breathe a huge sigh of relief.

I'm a big believer and a big fan of this kid.  Hell, I named my very own blog after Smith.  I would truly hate to see him suffer a serious injury just days after I started a blog named after him (I'd feel like such a horrible jinx).  Whether he's ready or not come Tuesday, I've got to image he'll be ready for training camp.  The kid has stated before he wants to make this team THIS season and I damn sure hope he does.

On a brighter Brendan Smith note, the Red Wings have posted some interviews with the prospects at camp.  Questions were submitted by fans.  Here's Smith's interview:


Some of the highlights:

  • Smith biggest hockey superstition is always getting dressed in his hockey equipment left side to right (I always lace up my skates left side first.  Glad Smith and I have some things in common).  
  • His guilty pleasure that the trainers might not like is his love for chocolate cake.  
  • He's looking forward most to playing near home in Toronto against Brett Lebda's Maple Leaf. 
  • If he was a tree...he'd be a maple.
  • Favorite vacation spot is his cabin in Nova Scotia
  • His pump up song is 'Remember the Name' by Fort Minor (below for your listening pleasure)


Lets Go Red Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment