Brendan Smith interview

Friday, August 27, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I’ve been gone for the majority of the month getting ready for my final semester of college and visiting this guy in PA. The next four months are going to be busy, but awesome.  I have one class, but it’s a big one incorporating all of the journalism knowledge I’ve learned in the last four years.  I have to produce my own newscast of any kind.  I’m thinking a Bruins season preview show sounds good to me.  I will be interning in the sports department of WHDH 7 News here in Boston and will be the associate producer of Emerson’s WEBN Sports program (imagine SportsCenter meets college production).  Not to mention, I have my final cross-country season and hockey season as well.  But have no fear! This blog will be up-and-running.  I can’t wait for the season to start. 

A lot has happened since my last post examining which free agent could fill the shoes skates as Jonathon Ericsson’s babysitter (i.e. the sixth defenseman).  Thankfully no one pays me to write these posts.  I listed and wrote about nine potential suitors.  So far, one has retired (Aaron Ward), one signed for $2.5 million a season with L.A. (Willie Mitchell), and another signed for $600k with the Thrashawks (Freddy Meyer).  Where was Ruslan Salei on the list? Oh yeah...I didn’t include him.  I love the pick-up though.  Salei will add some snarl to this team.  The fact that he previously played for Babcock and enjoys playing for Babcock...I’m sold.  Can we give Kenny the GM of the Year award yet?

What else has changed? Helm and Abby both resigned for 2 years of friendly cap-hits.  I don’t think anyone actually thought they wouldn’t return. These two have Red Wings For Life written all over them and I think everyone would agree.  With those two signed, the Wings roster is essentially set for the season.  Meech will most likely be traded.  And when it comes to the Ritola/Miller debate? I’m on Team Miller. 

Now of course there have been some other big changes lately that need to be mentioned.  A big shout out needs to be sent to Petrella, Disch, and Hollis over at the new Production Line.  The new site looks awesome, they pulled Hollis out of his brief Favre-like retirement, and The Obstructed View is now The Production Hour (TP:60).  Make sure to check out the new digs over at TPL.

And one final congrats to Kyle of at Babcock’s Death Stare.  His blog will be going on hiatus for the season, because he will be interning with the Grand Rapids Griffins.  We will surely miss his awesome work over at BDS, but wish him the best of luck with the Griffins.  Kyle has always been more than helpful answering my Red Wings questions and giving the BSI some shout outs on his blog.  And for that, I say thank you.

Lets Go Red Wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment