Brendan Smith interview

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Welcome back, Red Wings hockey


What a night.

Such an awesome feeling watching my team come into the city I live in and absolutely dominate the hell out of the Boston Bruins.

The night started at local bar near the Garden.  The Red Wings hosted a pre-game party on the road and it was without a doubt a success.  At least 90 people showed up throughout the evening and the top floor of the bar was filled with nothing but Red Wings' fans.  Hopefully, the Wings will do this again on more road trips.

I had the chance to go to the game with work.  At 6:30p ET, I knocked on the door of the Red Wings' broadcast booth and had to get Larry Murphy so we could head down to the suite where we broadcast the Bruins' pre/int/post game shows.  He was doing a guest segment for us.  Our producer spent some time producing the Wings' pre/post game shows in the early 2000s when the were based out of Seattle with Mickey York and Angie Arlotti.  He had worked with Murph when he first started out and also worked with John Keating too.

When I got Murph, Ken Daniels was not in the room.  So I unfortunately did not get a chance to meet him.  There were also no hot dogs in the booth.  Murphy was a lot bigger than I expected.  He was extremely nice.  We had to go from the 9th floor to the 5th floor.  He had a huge pile of notes that his eyes were buried in.  There was some small talk, yada yada yada, and all that, but ultimately, I didn't want to bother him too much while he prepared for the game.  He crushed his segment for NESN and I took him back to the elevator and back up to the 9th floor.  Thanks him again and that was that. 

I should mention that I road in the elevator twice with Khan and once with Cam Neely.

The actual game was awesome.  By now you've read recaps over at other blogs, so I won't do a straight up recap.  I spent the game in the suite watching the game with our producer, Barry Pederson, and Mike Milbury.  We picked out specific plays and goals to breakdown during intermission and to use for replays.  It was a really cool experience.  Pederson was a nice guy.  Milbury didn't really talk to anyone but Pederson, Tappen (the show's host), and the producer.  At one point during a Datsyuk shift and yelled over to our producer, "He's amazing!" and had awe inspiring smile on his face. 

It was pretty somber in the suite once the second period hit.  I heard many comments from Bruins' fans like "They're just so good at passing the puck through people and keeping control," and I heard comments like, "They never fight.  This sucks."  There were more comments about how good the Wings were than how much "they sucked" though.  Late in the third a lot of Bruins fans hit the exits and the red took over.  A few "Let's Go Red Wings" chants.  Not sure if it was heard on TV or not.  I received an email from a former producer from where I interned, he said, "If the B's and Wings played in a 7 game series...the Wings would win in 3."  That pretty much summed up the night.  I'm just glad the Wings of old showed up and dismantled the Bruins and put them back in their place.  If the Wings go on a roll here and do end up winning the Cup in June.  I think we can look back on this game as a turning pointing in the season.  I can't wait to go into work today with my Shirtuzzi, '08 Cup hat, and maybe my Yzerman sweater. 

Let's Go Red Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment