Brendan Smith interview

Sunday, November 21, 2010

First win of the year: Emerson 11, RISD 4


That Wings' loss on Friday night annoyed me and I was in no mood to write a recap.  Writing one now would be a little dated, so instead I'm going to present you with a recap my hockey game tonight. 

I have no idea what the Rhode Island School of Design's record was before the game, but we were 0-2 entering the contest with two pretty lopsided losses to Berklee School of Music (13-0 and 11-2).  We've never lost to RISD...ever.  So we were pretty confident we'd get our first W of the season and, well, as you can see by the 11-4 score, we did.

The first period actually started out pretty slow.  RISD ended up scoring the first goal of the game in the first few minutes.  Our goalie Alfonso "Fonzie" Carrion made a sick save when I think the score was either 1-1 or 2-1.  It was a two-on-one and the RISD forward passed to his teammate who shot the puck.  Fonzie dove to his right and stopped the shot with his stick.  We ended the period on a high note though with a lead of 3-1.

We scored a few more goals in the second period and ended up leading after two by a score of 6-2.  At one point during the period one of the RISD defensemen was skating behind their net to start the breakout.  I was on the forecheck and laid a nice solid, hard check on the defenseman...who turned out to be a girl.  Oops.  Now, a lot of teams we play are co-ed and we are not really supposed to check the girls.  In my defense, I have to make it known that her ponytail was tucked into her shoulder pads and it looked like she had short hair.  Oh, and she totally looked like a dude.  I was all jacked up after my shift when I got back to the bench and everyone was looking at me like, 'Dude, you just hit a girl."  My bad...my bad.

Now the third period?  That was a lot of fun.  All game I played right wing on the second line.  My line-mates had been lighting up the score sheet all night.  My center Scott had 3 goals and 3 assists.  My left winger Ian had a goal and 3 assists.  I don't have the best hands in the business by any means, so since the first period Scott and Ian kept telling me to crash the net and they'll get me the puck.  Over the course of the game they set me up with three b-e-a-utiful opportunities right in front of the net...I'm talking a surefire goal...and I whiffed on the first two and the goalie made a nice save on the third.  But finally in the third period I cashed in.

My defenseman passed me the puck on the wing in our own zone for the breakout.  The RISD d-man pinched in and I hit Ian with the pass and we off on a two-on-one.  He lost the puck just over the blue line but was able to regain control for a shot, the goalie made the save and the puck bounced perfectly to my stick and tapped it home into the empty net.  It was our 10th goal of the game. 

But wait! There's more!  My very next shift Scott ripped a shot from the slot.  As usual, I just crashed the net, found the rebound, the goalie stopped my first attempt, but I got a second whack and didn't miss this time.  It was our 11th and final goal of the game.  After the goal, the ref came up to me as we skated back to the bench and laughed as he told me, and I quote, "that was the ugliest goal I've ever seen."  I responded with, "that's the only way I know how."  And trust me, it was UGLY.  It was a Tomas Holmstrom like garbage goal....just the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment