Brendan Smith interview

Friday, November 12, 2010

New Lines? No Problem: Wings 6, Oilers 2

SUH
"I'm expecting the Wings to give Edmonton a good, old fashioned ass-kicking tonight.  Somewhere along the lines of 8-2 works for me.  It just seems right considering the line-juggling, the few days rest, and a successful road trip last week."
Totally nailed this game in my preview.  What?  I was two goals short?  So what.  The Red Wings had this game in their hands from start to finish.  There may have been some time in the 3rd period where Detroit coasted, but the game was never in doubt. 
  • Three lines...three goals in the first period.  I'd say the new lines are working out pretty well.  Happy didn't get a goal, but his pass from Gretzky's Office to Filp was a thing of beauty.  Pretty sure Filp knocked that sucker out of mid-air before it touched the ice.  Homer added goal number two on a nice play by the Flying Circus (the only line still together).  Cleary wrapped up the period with goal three off a nice pass from Bertuzzi.  Three goals from three different lines.
  • Hudler still didn't score, but I thought he played a solid game.  He obviously plays better when he's on a more offensive driven line with Filp and Mule than when he plays with Helm/Eaves/Miller in a 4th line grinding type role.
  • Abby played on the 4th line.  He's versatile.  He can play on a line with more skilled guys like Modano and Cleary or he can play a grinder role with the 4th liners.  I'd really like to see what he can do offensively if given more time with the skill guys, but it's just so hard to move someone else down.  Not everyone on this team can move up and down the line-up like Abby can.  The future is big and bright for him though.  He'll get his shot and he better run with it.
  • I honestly completely forget about Kris Draper.  Babcock is already having to make tough choices of who to sit on a nightly basis...can't imagine it will get much easier when Drapes returns.
  • I second Petrella's comments on Eberle...and yes, 6-2 does count as a whomping.
  • The defensive pairings continue to work.  I was worried about Rafalski/Ericsson, but I think they've played well together and they're growing on me.  I've been completely sold on Stuart/Lidstrom and Kronner/Salei is a nice mix of offensive and defensive minded defensemen.
  • Someone please comment and tell me if I'm right or wrong...but I swear Jimmah started this game with his Doc Ock mask and switched to his new car mask.
  • Danny Cleary is a on a four game goal streak.  Lidstrom and Datsyuk extended their point streaks to 10 games.  The Wings' top nine forwards all had at least a point.
  • The Avs come to town tomorrow night.  Who does Babcock sit?

1 comment:

  1. He did change his mask after the penner goal because the clear protector on the bottom broke on the old mask

    ReplyDelete